Sunday 9 June 2013

Blueberry Oat Pancakes



I am a sucker for pancakes. Even more, I am a sucker for pancakes covered in maple syrup. Not the imitation stuff - real Canadian maple syrup. Yes, it costs about three times as much as maple flavoured syrup. Yes, it's worth it. And not only in the taste department. The only ingredient in Canadian maple syrup is Canadian maple syrup. No added sugar, flavours, or colours. No added anything for that matter. In my opinion, its the best natural sweetener around. Having said that, I still feel a bit guilty drowning my pancakes in it. Natural as it may be, it still has a high sugar content. Which is why these pancakes are perfect! There is no sugar in them so you don't have to feel bad about soaking them in maple syrup. Or honey or jam or whatever you like to put on your pancakes.

I am just going to come right out and say it: these pancakes are amazing. Even without maple syrup. The recipe came from an old recipe card my Mum gave me. She has fructose malabsorption so she used to make them and replace the wheat flour with oat flour. They were still amazing.

So here it is. The recipe you've been waiting for:



Blueberry Oat Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup quick oats (I didn't have quick oats so I just blitzed some normal ones to make them smaller)
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil which gave them a wonderful coconut-y flavour)
3/4 to 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Method:
Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients, but do not beat. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Add blueberries. Bake on a hot, greased griddle. Serve with more blueberries and topping of your choice. Or just plain!


No comments:

Post a Comment