Sunday 21 April 2013

Sneaky Bolognese Sauce

My husband is somewhat like a child. He doesn't like vegetables very much. I have to be sneaky. So when I made fettuccine (he doesn't like spaghetti either...) bolognese the other night I added some veg in. He didn't even notice and when I told him what was in it he thought I was so sneaky! He really enjoyed the meal and even added his steamed broccoli to the sauce so he didn't have to eat it by itself! I added zucchini this time but used carrot last time simply because it was all I had in the fridge. Next time I think I will use both! The trick is to grate it up really small so that they can't tell it is in there.


Bolognese Sauce

Ingredients:

1-2 tablespoons oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Italian dried herbs
One 500g(ish) packet of beef mince - I have also made this with beef and pork mince
3-4 mushrooms
One jar of your favourite pasta sauce
Half a zucchini, grated finely
One small carrot, grated finely
Parmesan and basil leaves, to serve
Your choice of pasta


Method:

Heat oil in a large fry pan. Add minced garlic and dried herbs. Cook until fragrant, stirring constantly so they don't burn. Add mince and cook until just browned.
Add mushrooms to the pan, stirring until soft.
Add pasta sauce and simmer. Add zucchini, carrot and any other veggies you want to throw in.
Simmer, stirring occasionally for around 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
Cook pasta to packet instructions.
To serve, put the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese and place basil leaves on top.

I find this is a good one to have left overs of as you can just cook some pasta and heat up the sauce and it is ready! Delish!

Enjoy!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment